Monday, November 2, 2009

The Stillborn Child

I received one of the most thoughtful gifts in the mail today from Angela Cannon Hebert, who I went to high school with and haven't seen since our 10 year reunion over 7 years ago. She sent me a book entitled, "Grieving the Child I Never Knew". She also sent a poem I would like to share. It made me cry and is perfect for me.

The Stillborn Child
by Francine M. O'Oonnor
A Soul within my very own Soul
From human love was conceived.
Pride of possession consumed me then,
"This child is mine," I believed.
Oh, I knew she was Yours from the very start,
That You had every right to her soul.
But I forgot for a little while, Lord,
That the future was Yours to control.
I felt her within me and loved her so,
And I had so very much planned.
But You had plans that were greater still
When You held her life in Your hands.
I knew not her life, yet I mourn her death,
I have lost what was never mine.
Please help me, Lord, to understand
And to accept your will devine.
And as time goes on and dulls the pain,
May the lesson I've learned shine through.
That every child I hold close to my heart
Is a soul that belongs to You.
Thank you Angela, this meant a lot to me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment